App: Nike Training Club
Requirements: iPod touch, iPhone or iPad with iOS4 or above.
Through a recommendation on Twitter, I downloaded this app. I just recently started to use it, and it is awesome! Best part is it's a free app, but I think it would be worth paying a few dollars for.
The app itself has about 85 workouts, with different drills in each workout. There are four kinds of workouts: cardio drills, toning with light weights and intervals, strength training with heavier weights, and 15 minute workouts targeting specific areas of the body. The first three types have three levels (beginner, intermediate, advanced) and range in time from 30-45 minutes. The app suggests combining the 15 minutes workouts with 30 minutes of cardio "to maximize your workout."
I opened up the app, and decided to do the 15 minute Ab Buster workout. When I was in the workout, I love how it told me exactly how much time I had on each move, as well as left on the workout as a whole. It also gives you audio cues with tips on form as well as a few seconds warning when it was almost time to move on to the next move.
I also loved how I was able to get step-by step instructions (either through pictures and text or video) on how to do moves if I was unsure on how to do them. I did have to do this quite a bit, but it does help improve form during the workout.
The program also tracks how much time you spend working out, and you can unlock bonus content as you spend more time using the app.
You also don't need to be in the gym at all to use this. As long as you have weights, a medicine ball, and your device, you can workout just about anywhere. I found a mat to be helpful as well, since some of the moves (especially those in the ab workouts) are on the floor.
Anyway, here's the pros and cons (in my opinion) of this app:
- Workouts for any level, whether you're just starting or have been working out forever.
- There's not only a workout for any level, but also for any amount of time you have.
- Music control within the app. If you workout to music (like me), this is a must!
- Bonuses unlocked after every sixty minutes of working out.
- Audio cues throughout, with both form tips and when it was time to move on to the next move.
- No need for a gym! As long as you have your iPhone/iPad/iTouch and the appropriate equipment, you can workout!
- Easy to get step by step instructions on a move, either by video or picture/text.
- The app tells you how much time you have left on both the move and the workout overall.
- If you pause the workout, the music stops. This annoyed me because I would pause the app, and have to reset my music when I got started again.
- Separate download for bonus content. This actually makes sense, but I found it to be annoying, especially when I got seven bonus workouts when I first used the app.
- While it does give you a time cue when there's a few seconds left in a move, it's inconsistent. Sometimes it would be a thirty second warning, others it's only ten seconds.
- Only available if you have an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad.
While this app has some things that are a bit of a pain, it is overall excellent. I have just started using it and have found it to be very useful. I can have a different workout every time I workout, plus it's user friendly. If you're looking for an app to get started or even to keep you from getting bored, and have an iPod touch/iPhone/iPad, then I would recommend this one.