Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Run the Hook (for 6.2 Miles)!

Once upon a time (okay, approximately seven months ago), I had a crazy idea to run two 5K's in the same day, and bring my best gym friend Carol along for the ride. The second course was short, and it wound up only being six miles. Still, it rocked.

That crazy awesome day led to this.



That would be the registration confirmation for my first 10K on May 14. 

I decided that since I did a split 10K (minus a few tenths), I could do it all in one shot! I pushed my limits in just about every other way, so time to take the racing to another level!

Training for this race will be a little different than a 5K. After looking at several training plans, I decided on Hal Higdon's 10K Novice plan. I'm not a new runner by any means, but I am new to the distance. In fact, I have not completed more than three and a half miles EVER. Still, the plan gives me enough time to build up my distance, and still works a good amount of cross training in.

The plan in a nutshell:

  • Three days of running
  • Two days of cross training
  • Two days of strength training
  • One active rest day (I will be using this day to take Barre class at my gym)
  • One complete rest day

I am also slated to run the New Jersey Marathon 5K on April 29. I was originally going to race that one, but with this 10K two weeks after that, I will run two miles before that, and use that race as a training run (with a souvenir T-shirt...lol).

This is by far the craziest thing I have ever done, but I am up for the challenge! Follow my training on the socials (@Tradledee85 on Twitter and Instagram)! Here's to an awesome cycle and race day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment