Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Back to Basics: Improving Spaces

My first week of the Back to Basics challenge rocked! I stayed on track with both no sweets Monday-Friday (Starbucks launched Pumpkin Spice on Tuesday, so I couldn't get it on launch day) and the tracking!

Brooke's challenge to us last week was basically improving our spaces to help us stay on track. She broke it up into three categories (home, kitchen, and work), with three or four challenges in each category, and told us to do two or three of them. 

Here's how it went for me:

Home Space

There were three challenges in this category:

1) Create a space to workout at home.
2) Place motivational quotes or pictures around to see daily.
3) Lay workout clothes out the night before.

I went with the third one in this category. I workout at the gym, and usually throw together my stuff right before I go. Last week, I worked early, and was planning on going to the gym right from work. So, I packed my bag before I went to bed that night. The next morning, I grabbed my duffell and went! So easy! Challenge one complete!

Kitchen Space

There were four challenges in this category:

1) Get rid of or hide trigger foods.
2) Place fruit and other plan friendly foods in a basket or bowl.
3) Put food scale and measuring cups on the counter.
4) Mark foods with Points Plus values.

I did a combination of the first and third ones. I work at Panera, and the closers get to take home a few bagels and pastries at the end of the night. Since I am no longer working at night, I don't get this privilege. Therefore, no bringing home jumbo chocolate chip cookies! This helps me with the no sweets during the week too! 

As for the tools, I have a food scale on my counter, and bought a new measuring cup since the granola I bought has a serving size of 1/3 cup. Strange. They both stay on my counter where I can easily see them and be reminded to use them!

Work Space

There were three challenges here:

1) Store healthy choices in or on your desk.
2) Set a reminder to get up and move.
3) Pack a healthy lunch and snacks.

This was a tricky category for me. I work in a restaurant, and get discounted meals when I work. I did make good choices though! I'm on my feet for most of the day, so I didn't need any movement reminders!

I think this challenge was something I needed, and it seemed to come at the right time! I did awesome last week, and hope that the momentum keeps going this week. The challenge for this week is tracking, which is one of my goals for the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment