Tuesday, October 13, 2015

NOT Keeping Up with the Joneses: The Running Editon

I have become convinced that having blogger/social media friends who are running half and full marathons the same weekend I did a 5K has messed with my mind. Especially when I saw paces that were minutes faster than mine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled for y'all, but at the same time, it has made me feel...small.

I tweet during #RunChat on the Sundays when it occurs at 8:00 EST. One of the questions was for the participants to ask something.

So, of course, I tweeted "How do I feel like a real runner? I feel like everyone else has done so much more than me." I got several responses that pretty much told me the same thing: "Do YOUR thing. Forget about everyone else."

I know that's all I need, but sometimes, I still struggle with this.

It is partially because I've never done anything longer than a 5K. I alternate walking and running. I haven't exactly been the fastest either.  The only race where I placed was the Iron Girl where the 5K was only about 50 people. 

I've seen people run more in one day than I do in a week. Granted, I should be thankful that I'm doing something, but some days, I feel like my fastest or longest isn't enough.

Long-distance running isn't for everyone, and I've come to the conclusion that my body is not meant for it. I can handle three to five miles, but the thought of anything more makes my body hurt. I am totally okay with this, but at the same time, I don't feel like one of the "cool kids." You know, all of you who've done multiple half and full marathons.

Ridiculous? Totally.

I am human, and sometimes I let numbers mess with my mind. Similar to the scale (which I just started to let go a bit, but that's another post), I let myself get caught up with everyone else and not be happy with all I've done.

I mean, five years ago I wouldn't have thought of doing ONE 5K, and now I've done THIRTEEN, with my fourteenth on Sunday.

One of the lessons I've learned is to do what makes me happy. I've also realized that running is PART of me, but not ALL of me. I have too many other fitness interests to be able to commit to any more running than I already do. 

Plus, with a crazy work schedule, it's hard to block out time for long runs. I'm lucky I get the two miles at a time I do now. 

Besides, I love the atmosphere of local races, even the one I did this weekend with about 2,000 people. 

In a nutshell, I am okay with never being a long distance runner, but need to work on not letting myself feel small. Like my one Momentum bracelet says "Be the best version of YOU." As long as I do that, no matter how far I run or whatever, I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment