Thursday, March 24, 2016

Playlist Thursday: Just Some of My Favs

Happy Thursday, everyone! I can't believe that March is almost over! Sunday is Easter and next weekend is the Final Four! How's everyone's brackets holding up? My men's and women's are both DEAD! However, my women's national champion (Connecticut, obviously) is still alive and kicking! 

Anyway, I decided to post a playlist for the first time in ages! I have fun doing these, and since I haven't done one lately, why not put one up now?


Anyway, a huge thank you to Pavey for originating Playlist Thursday in the first place!

For those unfamilar to Playlist Thursday (either through Pavey or myself), here's the format:

Something Old: Songs that are at least 5 years old. (I know that isn’t too long to be considered old, but music turnover happens quickly.)
Something Current: Songs that have been released within the past year.
Something to Consider: This is the wild card category. Feel free to list any song: old, current, guilty pleasure, underground, whatever.


Here's what I came up with:

Something Old 

Song: Mr. Jones
Artist: Counting Crows
Side Note: Typical 90's music. I actually never heard it until a few years ago, and it became one of my favs from that decade. The song is possibly about two struggling musicians wanting to be big stars, which I think that everyone wants in whatver they do, whether in performing arts, running, or whatever else, but may have second thoughts about that. Just an awesome song no matter what.
Quotable: "We all want to be big, big stars. Yeah, but we got different reasons for that."





Something Current 

Song: Try Everything
Artist: Shakira
Side Note: This was the theme song from the Disney movie "Zootopia." The movie as a whole delivered the message of "Anyone can be anything." This song did an awesome job of tying in with the message of the movie. Basically, how can you know if you can do something if you don't try? You may fail, but at least you tried, and that's half the battle right there.
Quotable: "I want to try everything. I want to try even though I could fail."





Something to Consider 

Song: Dare You To Move
Artist: Switchfoot
Side Note: This song has five recorded versions. The one we all know is the rock version on the album The Beautiful Letdown. There is also a quieter version without the driven instrumentation, and was featured on the album Learning to Breathe. The other three are the Japanese version, which is longer, a heavier rock version, and a live one. This is another fav song of mine, because it's about not settling for what you are, striving for something more. 
Quotable: "The tension is here, the tension is here, between who you are and who you should be."



There you have it! I went with a mixed bag this week, since I wasn't feeling a particular theme. I just wanted to share a few of my favorite songs with you all! 

What's on YOUR playlist?

No comments:

Post a Comment