Thursday, July 14, 2016

#AP2TheLights

What happens when you have crazy runner friends who do crazy things?

You get a little crazy and follow suit.

Okay, I may not be running two half marathons in two states in one day (Ala The We Run Social crew and Cali to Vegas), but I am doing something I have never done.

Two 5K's in one day. In the middle of August.

Oh yeah. Did I mention that they are both races I will be racing for the first time EVER? 

Boardwalk by day, lighthouses by night! 6.2 epic miles!


Since you all know I never seem to tell the short version of anything, here's the very long version of how this happened.

I was toying with the idea of doing a race in the morning on April 30, since the NJ Marathon 5K got moved to 3:00 in the afternoon. Yeah, I never found a second race...

Around the same time, the George Sheehan Classic announced that they were merging with the Asbury Park 5K on August 13, resulting in only one race this year. Well, I didn't get revenge on Tower Hill after all. Oh well. At least I can say I did the last Red Bank run.

As many of you know, my birthday is August 7. My friend Carol's birthday is on August 15. So, I suggested that we do Asbury for our birthdays. She was totally on board. Well, there was one race at 8:30 in the morning and that was that.

Or so we thought.

Shortly after that, the Twin Lights Twilight Run in Highlands, which is usually at 6:30 on a Sunday night, announced that they would be moving that one to a Saturday this year. Guess the date on that.

Yup, August 13.

Being the crazy person that I am, I suggested to Carol that we do that one too. She was up for the challenge. 

So this is going to be a crazy, but epic race day! I know that this will be the biggest race day of my life. 6.2 awesome miles starting along the ocean and ending at 250 feet above sea level. 

Timing will be on our side for sure. Asbury Park starts at 8:30 in the morning, and even with some time to hang out at that after party, we will still get home with plenty of time to relax and reset for the Twin Lights Run at 6:30 that night. 

I've already decided that neither race will be a PR race. It will be way too hot, plus I need to have enough left in the tank after AP to get through the Twin Lights. This is more for the multi-race challenge and to celebrate two birthdays!

I plan on having a good time and conquer something that I never have before! I'll be 31 on August 7, and plan on using this to prove that 31 will be my year. Plus, you know, running 3.1 to celebrate 31. ;-) 

As for our "official" after party, that's probably going to be an on the fly thing. I want to go out and celebrate after, but nothing set yet. We'll see what happens.

Have you ever had a multi-race day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment