Friday, July 8, 2016

Recapping My 40 Day Run Streak

Hello, world! Hope everyone is doing well and staying cool on this hot July day! Well, it's hot and humid out here on the Jersey Shore. Such is expected though. That's what we get...haha.

I went for a run on May 29, but little did I know that it would be the start of a 40 day adventure. Otherwise known as a run streak.

Holmdel Park was where it all began, although I had no idea at the time.


If you follow me on Twitter and Instagram, you've probably seen all the posts about it. 

I know, I swore I would never attempt one, after the longest I went was three days. It wasn't for me, my body needed the rest, and so on.

However, Runner's World was running one from Memorial Day to the Fourth of July. So, I decided to hop on the train and make mine a plus one, since I ran the day before Memorial Day.

There were days I questioned it, and if I could actually do it. On one, my boss talked a lot of sense into me, basically saying not to because I worked so hard for it. On that day, I had my fastest pace EVER!

Yeah, that really happened. Thanks to my boss for talking sense into me! See, I do listen sometimes! ;-)


The streak hit its peak back on June 25, where this mother freakin' superstar took on Union Beach and came within 14 seconds of a PR on a hot and humid day. I truly believe that all the running outside, no matter how short the run was, helped me condition better for the weather. I was happy with the outcome and know that it can only get better.



On Monday, the last day of the Runner's World streak, I decided I wasn't ready for it to end just yet. I took it a little further and decided to see what would follow. 

Today was the day I decided that it was over. I ran a total of 40 days and 66.4 miles.

This week simply took a lot out of me with work, the weather, and getting back to a "normal" cross-training routine. Not to mention that I was feeling super sore and knew that my body was telling me "It's over."

Am I disappointed that it's over? A little. Who wouldn't be? I wanted to keep going, but know that in the long run (no pun intended), it would benefit me to go back to normal, and that includes rest days. 

However, I am super proud of myself for making it as far as I did. For a girl who swore she would never run, much less streak, I did pretty awesome! I proved to myself that I am stronger than I think I am, and that I am capable of anything (well, just about).

Will I attempt to streak again? Well, I would like to say "No," but I learned to never say never. I just want to go back to a normal routine for now, and see what happens. If I attempt it again, great. If not, then so be it. At least now I know it's possible.

Have you attempted a run streak before? If so, how long did it last?

No comments:

Post a Comment