Sunday, August 21, 2016

Fitbloggin' 2016: Lessons Learned...and Relearned

Hey, everybody! I can't believe Fitbloggin' was already a month ago, and I'm JUST writing about it now! Since the conference was small, and others have done better about recapping it than I possibly could, I'll just leave you all with a few lessons I learned during the conference.

It's okay to NOT do everything.

This was a lesson I learned during my first Fitbloggin', and I kept to it this year. I went to a lot of the "big" events (keynote, morning panel, receptions), but as far as the sessions, I kept them to what I wanted the most. I took some time for myself too, and skipped one session for some downtime in the pool, and another to go to the NCAA Hall of Champions. Oh yeah, and skipping boot camp for a run on a too fancy for me treadmill. For my third conference, I did the least, but got the most out of it (except for being a consistent blogger apparently; that's still a work in progress).




Branching out is cool!

There were a lot of first-time attendees as well as vets to the conference. I decided to keep to my old friends for the first part, and spent the second half of the weekend with new peeps. I got the best of both worlds, and had a blast with people I may not have met or chatted with otherwise! Plus, I may not have had the best chicken Caesar salad ever! ;-)




Love myself where I'm at right now.

My journey has had a lot of ups and downs. I've struggled with self-love a lot, and one of the biggest takeaways was that I need to love myself as I am right now. I may not be perfect, but that's okay. At this point, I don't care what anyone else thinks (although there are some whose thoughts I need to take into consideration). I am the best version of ME, and as long as I love myself as I am, then that's all that matters.


I am NOT a dancer.

I do Zumba every year at Fitbloggin', and that meets my dance quota for the year. I have zero rhythm or coordination. I think I'll stick to running and spinning. They require none of the above. ;-)


Climbing ALL the stairs does not suck that much.  

After a 20+ minute wait for the elevator on Thursday night, David and I took the stairs back to our floors. I did 12 flights and he did 18. He's a stair racer, but I held my own with him! ;-) It was fine, and I got to my room faster than waiting for the elevator!  



Thanks David for letting me use the pic! ;-)
 
This year's conference may not have been the biggest, but I still loved every moment of it! It was awesome being among my tribe, and some of the best moments happened outside of the scheduled activities! I can not wait to do it all over again next year, whenever and wherever it may be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment