Thursday, September 10, 2015

Playlist Thursday: Girl Power!

Hello, blog world! I haven't blogged in FOREVER! Work is kicking my ass, and I've had a lot going on outside of that. Plus, I'm training for three 5K's in a month span, the first of which is on Sunday!

Sunday's 5K is the IronGirl, so I decided to do an all-female artist Playlist Thursday! 



For those of you unfamiliar to Playlist Thursday, you can thank Pavey for this awesome idea. He came up with the cool format for all of us to follow. Three songs, and all from different points in time:


Something Old: Songs that are at least 5 years old. (I know that isn’t too long to be considered old, but music turnover happens quickly.)
Something Current: Songs that have been released within the past year.
Something to Consider: This is the wild card category. Feel free to list any song: old, current, guilty pleasure, underground, whatever.


Here's what I came up with this week:

Something Old

Artist: Madonna
Song: Like A Prayer
Side Note: First off, any all-female playlist NEEDS to include the Queen of Pop! Second, this is one of my favorite songs ever. It is a pop song that has elements of gospel and funk, which makes for an awesome sound. At the same time, the song has dual religious and sexual meanings. As a result, it didn't sit well with several groups of people. Whatever. The song is still awesome and one of those I can blast in my car, sing at the top of my lungs, and not care who's listening. I will continue to do so. ;-)
Quotable: In the midnight hour, I can feel your power. Just like a prayer, you'll know I'll take you there.


Something Current

Artist: Rachel Platten
Song: Fight Song
Side Note: This is your typical "girl power" song. Basically, this song is about feeling small and learning to believe in yourself. I can totally relate to this in more ways than one. I have struggled with feeling small and have recently started to truly believe in myself in almost anything I do. I mean, at 30, I still have a lot of fight left! It's just a matter of finding it!
Quotable: My power's turned on, starting now I'll be strong.


Something to Consider

Artist: Kelly Clarkson
Song: People Like Us
Side Note: Totally awesome song. The beat is uptempo, while the message is powerful. Themes of empowerment, strength, and assurance are conveyed throughout. I think that the song speaks to the world as a whole because we all may have been either a misfit, damned, or forgotten (okay, maybe not damned) at some point in our lives. This another song I can blast and sing to and not care who's listening.
Quotable: Oh, people like us we've got to stick together. Keep your head up, nothing lasts forever.



There you have it! Some girl power to get me through the IronGirl 5K on Sunday! Hoping for an awesome race! 

What are YOU currently listening to?

No comments:

Post a Comment