Thursday, April 1, 2010

Welcome to the Journey

Hello, friends!

Seven and a half months ago, I decided to finally lose weight, get healthy, and finally get a life that I never had. However, I just decided (literally, hours ago) to share my experiences with the world. Sure, the thought of a blog about stuff like this may have been done so many times before, but each person's journey is different, so I realized that there's always room for one more person to share his or her experience.

Welcome to mine.

Oh sure, I would spend years saying that I would start tomorrow or next week. Well, tomorrow and next week came and went, and nothing would change. I honestly think that it was easy being overweight. I never exercised and ate literally, anything I wanted. Most of the time, what I wanted was high-fattening, good tasting sweet stuff almost every hour of the day. No matter how full I was, I still wanted more.

It was after the season 7 (spring 2009) finale of The Biggest Loser that I realized that I had to make some major changes in my life. I've been a fan of the show since season 4 (fall 2007), and yes, I admit to eating cookies and ice cream while I watched. However, after the season 7 finale, I decided that I had watched the show for too long, and spent too much of my life overweight and unhappy, to keep going the way I was going.

So, my journey began. At first, I wondered why I would go through this. Then, I realized that every change, no matter how small, would make a difference. For example, I went from drinking about 48 ounces of soda (4 cans) to none. I lost almost 10 pounds that week alone. However, I eventually went back to drinking soda, but I learned how to control my intake to at most a can a day. I did the same thing with my sweet tooth. I now limit my sweets to one treat a day, usually after supper.

As a matter of fact, the only drastic change I really made was in regards to my activity level. I went from doing almost nothing to making sure I get at least 30 minutes of exercise in every day. Some days are harder than others, especially when I work early in the mornings, but I make sure I do something to get myself moving. I've realized that the only way that this can happen is one step at a time and that "It's gonna happen when it's supposed to happen that we find the reasons why, one step at a time," as sung by Jordin Sparks. I love the song "One Step at a Time" and that was the inspiration for the title for this. :-)

I'm going to close this with a huge thank you to everyone for reading this and for joining me on my journey!

~Tracy~

No comments:

Post a Comment