Six and a half months since I got injured and nine months after my last (and heartbreaking) 5K, I am in training for my comeback race: the Spring Into Summer 5K on May 4! This was the race I trained so hard for last year, and it is the one where my current PR stands!
I was going to start training earlier this week, but my work schedule is insane this week and I realized that I wouldn't be able to fully commit to the running. While it has been several months since I ran consistently, I did start running again back in January and logged a few runs in the last two months. I'm not entirely starting from scratch either, since I ran last year, but it's more about getting speed and stamina back. Still a work in progress, but I think that I should be back to where I was last year within seven weeks.
I have a training plan, but like life itself, nothing is set in stone. So, I'll just give you all the basics:
- Three days of running. I am going back to C25K, which is only three runs a week averaging 30 minutes at a time. Totally doable. =)
- One or two cardio cross-training days. I do at least one spin class a week, so that will stay. If I'm feeling up to it, and if the week allows, I will add another spin class or kickboxing (I seriously have a problem here. I can't stay away from kick!). If I'm not up to the second day of CT, I will take an extra rest day.
- Two or three core classes. They're only 30 minutes each, and core work is huge!
- Two strength training days. I've been doing two days on the weights a week lately, and it works for me. Don't fix what's not broken, right?
- Two rest days. This is a MUST! Honestly, I would love to be working out six days a week, but given that I do have a sensitive knee, I have to be careful, and two rest days are needed.
Whew! That's a lot for even me to take in! Still, I am going to put my heart and soul into this and make sure that my comeback race is everything I hope for it to be! Hopefully, I can even get some redemption for last June!
Are you currently training for anything this spring? Or making a comeback yourself?