Thursday, July 16, 2015

Playlist Thursday: Rock On!

It's Thursday, and that means it's time for another Playlist Thursday!




Pavey had been doing them for awhile, and I decided to start doing my own!

I'm still on a bit of a rock kick, and that reflects on this week's playlist. This is more of a mixed bag though, as I have three very different artists and songs on here.              

Here's the format:

Something Old: Songs that are at least 5 years old. (I know that isn’t too long to be considered old, but music turnover happens quickly.)
Something Current: Songs that have been released within the past year.
Something to Consider: This is the wild card category. Feel free to list any song: old, current, guilty pleasure, underground, whatever.

Here's what I came up with:


Something Old

Artist: Billy Joel
Song: We Didn't Start the Fire
Side Note: This song pretty much sums up a 40 year span in American history. (Joel's birth in 1949 until the song's release in 1989), and Joel decided to take those headlines and form them into a song. The song itself has over 100 events, yet most people who listen to this song understand most, if not all of them. I have a degree in history, and as a result, this has become one of my favorite songs.  
Quotable: "We didn't start the fire, It was always burning since the world's been turning. We didn't start the fire. No we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it." 


Something Current

Artist: Walk the Moon
Song: Shut Up and Dance
Side Note: You know that one song you hear on the radio, gets stuck in your head, and can't remember the name of it? Yeah, that was this song for me. The song is totally catchy and it took me forever to find out the name of it. I eventually downloaded it and love it. The story behind it may be cliched, but it's still a good song.  Plus, it was performed on Tuesday night before the MLB All-Star Game. That must mean it's good, right? ;-)                         
Quotable: "Oh don't you dare look back, Just keep your eyes on me. I said you're holding back, She said shut up and dance with me."

Something to Consider

Artist: Bastille 
Song: Pompeii
Side Note: This is actually the fourth single from the album "Bad Blood," but is probably Bastille's most well-known. Lyrically, it's about the Roman town named Pompeii that was wiped out when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D. Even so, I think that the song can relate to today's world, depending on how one looks at it. This song has become one of my favs, and I listen to it at least once a day.
Quotable: "I was left to my own devices. Many days fell away with nothing to show."                                                 




There you have it. Another Thursday, another glimpse into my music library. I plan on making this a weekly thing. I have more than enough music to keep this going for awhile! ;-)

What are YOU listening to this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment