Thursday, July 9, 2015

Fitbloggin 2015: The Sessions

I've been back from Fitbloggin' for two weeks and I am now just getting around to writing recaps. Fail. 

I decided to break down my recaps a little differently than I did in 2012, where I broke down the weekend day by day. I will be breaking them down by category. This one is about the sessions I went to throughout the weekend. I know, boring stuff. However, I took more away from this conference than I did in 2012, probably because I actually went to FEWER sessions.

This year, my goal was to scale back the sessions so I got more out of them, but at the same time not be overwhelmed trying to get to EVERYTHING. I wound up going to five total for the weekend, most of which were health/body-image related. I felt that perspective was more of what I needed this time, so that's what I stuck with.

Here's the breakdown of the sessions I went to. For more detailed posts, check out the live blogs on Fitbloggin's official page.

Friday

  • How to Build Readership Through Social Media. This was hosted by my friend Ty of Seeking Boston Marathon. I admit Ty was pretty much the reason I went to this session, but I did get a bit out of it. For example, I realize that for my blog, I am definitely more of a Twitter and Instagram person. Facebook has pretty much become a "pay-to-play" atmosphere for "like" pages, and something that I really don't want to get caught up in. Plus, I post links to my blog on my personal page anyway. I also realized that I need to work on not auto-posting from Instagram to Facebook and Twitter.  Overall, a great session and one that helped me focus on two platforms in the social world.
  • Body Love: Becoming Comfortable Showing Your Skin. See my earlier post on this one here.
  • Fitfluential with Kelly Olexa! I am a Fitfluential ambassador, and decided to check out Kelly's presentation. In a nutshell, I learned that I need to step out of my comfort zone a little more, and I actually did throughout the weekend, and have a bit since the conference ended. Baby steps, but I'm getting there!
Saturday
  • "Nice Job Maintaining This Week!" Why Being an After is SO Hard, hosted by Sarah Quina. This was another much needed session for me. As someone who has been at goal (or thereabouts) for almost two years, I know that maintaining is harder than losing. The "maintenance" phase of weight loss is rarely talked about, so that's why so many struggle. We're not wanting to see change on the scale, but we're looking for new things to achieve instead. Being an after IS hard, but honestly, so was being heavy and so was losing. Life is about choosing your hard, and I would rather choose the part where I'm not 246 pounds. Like other sessions I went to, I realized that I am more than a number on the scale, and I'm rocking it.
  • Eat, Move, Love: Finding Yourself Without Losing Your Mind. This one was hosted by Dacia, Thea, and Heather. The path to health and wellness is not set in stone, and can get tiring. Basically, it can become a game of keeping up with the Joneses. Not fun. One thing I got out of this session is to keep doing what I'm doing for ME, not for anyone else. I also am trying to apply the principle of "What's the worst that can happen?" more. Unless it's death, then go for it! However, one thing that really hit home is that the "old" me is still part of me, that it was that person that changed my life and led me to who I am today. Basically, I need to keep going for myself and do what I want because it's what I want. 

So, there you have it. The five sessions of Fitbloggin' that I attended this year and what I got out of them. I realized that I need to stop trying to please everybody else and love myself for who I am and what I do. I also realized that I need to step out of my comfort zone and take more chances in life. Overall, I walked away from this weekend with a much needed new perspective on myself and am loving myself a lot more than I did before! 

No comments:

Post a Comment